If you own a home in Ireland, it’s important to have the right level of home insurance. A policy that doesn’t meet your specific needs could leave you exposed if something goes wrong with your property or possessions. To make sure your home is fully protected and that you’re getting the best value for money, here are some tips on how to get the right cover:
Know your risks
- Know your risks:
- Water damage is a common cause of home insurance claims. You might think that your house is safe from this type of damage, but it can happen even if you don’t live in an area prone to floods or other extreme weather events. Water damage can also occur as a result of burst pipes and leaks in drains or sewers.
- Look out for these things:
What will you insure?
Home insurance covers the cost of repairing or replacing your home, as well as its contents, in the event of a disaster. A standard policy will cover fire and lightning damage but not floods or earthquakes.
If you want to insure against flooding, check with your insurer about whether this is possible and how much extra it will cost. You may also need to pay an additional premium for building materials like bricks and tiles if they’re damaged in a flood – if so, make sure these are covered under your contents policy too!
Get the right cover
As with any insurance policy, it’s important to get the right cover. You’ll want to ensure that your home insurance policy covers all of the following:
- The value of your items and property (including contents).
- Building repairs in case of fire or other disasters such as storms or flooding.
- Personal liability for legal expenses if someone is injured on your property and sues for compensation. This could include medical bills, loss of earnings and more depending on how badly injured they were and what kind of court action is taken against you (for example, if someone slips on ice outside your house).
Choose the right level of cover
Choosing the right level of cover is a matter of understanding your needs and evaluating the risk. For example, if you have an expensive watch or jewelry collection, it may be worth insuring them separately to avoid paying high premiums.
If you need help deciding what level of home insurance Ireland is right for you, our customer service team are on hand with expert advice every step of the way.
You can get a good home insurance quote here.
We have a comparison tool that allows you to get a quote for your home insurance, contents insurance and even landlord or tenant insurance.
In the end, a good home insurance policy is one that meets your needs. You should be able to find a policy that covers all of your belongings and protects against liability if something happens on your property.