Whisky is one of the most popular spirits in the world, and it’s not hard to see why. It’s versatile, can be enjoyed on its own or mixed with other drinks and has a wide range of flavors. But did you know that there’s a new type of Irish whiskey out there? Blue Spot Whiskey is a small-batch Irish whiskey that’s gaining popularity as more people discover how good it is. We’re here to tell you all about this innovative spirit and give you everything you need to know about enjoying it at home or at your favorite watering hole.
A brief history of Blue Spot whiskey
Blue Spot is a new Irish whiskey, founded in 2016 by the Kilbeggan distillery. It’s based on a recipe from 1820, when founder John Power began making whiskey at his farmhouse near Kilbeggan. The original Blue Spot was made using both pot still and grain whiskeys (the latter being what we know as “blended” today).
The new Blue Spot takes that same approach: it’s a blend of pot still and grain whiskeys aged up to 12 years in ex-bourbon casks before being finished for three months in Oloroso sherry butts.
The ingredients in Blue Spot whiskey
To make Blue Spot whiskey, the distillers use grain whiskey and rye whiskey. These are both distilled from malted barley, which is then mixed with corn and wheat.
The distillers also add a bit of sugar to the mix to give it its distinctive caramel taste.
How to drink Blue Spot whiskey
Blue Spot whiskey is best enjoyed neat. However, if you’re looking to mix it up a bit, there are many different ways that you can drink your Blue Spot whiskey.
- Add water: If you want to dilute the intensity of the flavor and smooth out any harshness, add a few drops of water to your glass before adding ice or soda. This will help open up the flavors in your drink while also keeping them balanced enough so that they don’t get lost in all their own intensity!
- Add ice: Ice cubes can be used to bring out more subtle notes from this whiskey’s spicy character. You may even want to add multiple cubes for extra dilution!
- Add soda: For those who prefer something sweeter than plain water or ice–or those with an affinity for sparkling beverages–try adding some carbonated water instead! It’ll give you another layer of bubbles without overpowering anything else about this beverage (and let’s face it: everyone loves bubbles).
Buy blue spot whiskey in the UK
- Where to buy blue spot whiskey in the UK :
- In stores, including Tesco and Aldi supermarkets as well as many independent retailers across England and Wales (find your nearest store here).
Get to know this great new Irish whiskey.
Blue Spot is a great Irish whiskey with an interesting history. It’s named after a town in County Kerry, and the brand has been around since 1885.
The Blue Spot distillery was founded by John Power, who was also an MP for Limerick City. He set up shop in Killarney, County Kerry (hence its name). The company was taken over by Guinness in 1959 and continued to produce whiskey under their ownership until it closed down in 1973 due to declining sales.
It wasn’t until 2016 that production started again at another location–this time owned by Cooley Distillery–but using traditional methods from back when they first began making spirits there over 130 years ago!
We love Blue Spot whiskey, and we think you will too. It has a great taste and it’s easy to drink. We hope this article has given you some insight into what makes it so special, as well as tips on how best to enjoy it!